Scientific name for dogs
All dogs have the same scientific name – Canis lupus familiaris
This means that the classification of dogs is…
Genus: Canis – all dog-like creatures
Species: lupus – the Gray or Northern or Timber Wolf
Subspecies: familiaris – meaning familiar or common
So how about that. All of our pet, service and working dogs are so closely related to Timber Wolves, they are just a subspecies.
[Photo by Katerina Hlavata, CC License]
Service dogs assist humans in a wide variety of ways:
- to guide and assist blind people with orientation,
- to alert deaf people to sounds,
- assist people with mobility disabilities to pull their wheelchairs or retrieve items,
- warn people of an imminent seizure or low blood sugar,
- remind people with psychiatric disabilities to take medication, assist veterans with new complicated mental and cognitive disabilities with activities of daily living as they reenter civilian life.
[Photo by Chris Leahstar, CC License]